Monday, May 26, 2014

Ch. 32 Vacations and Relationships

Sweating and shirtless, Triston and Josh sat next to each other in the shade of a park tree, their shorts hung loose from their thighs as they drank bottled water.  There was the sound of birds, a jet passing overhead, and traffic on the road nearby.

“Thanks for jogging with me,” Josh said.

“Hey, no problem, it’s just I haven’t been out in a while.”

“You’re still in good shape,” Josh said.

Triston let out a laugh and wiped sweat from his forehead.

“Thanks I guess, it’s more about diet than exercise for me.”

“It would be easy to get some muscle tone,” Josh said.

“Settle yourself down, I just went jogging.”

“Okay, okay,” Josh said.

They both heard someone else running along the path and looked to the source.  They were disappointed to see a young woman headed their way.  She passed by them and they looked to each other.

“Don’t you wish that did it for you?” Josh asked.

“Not one second,” Triston said.  “Do you?”

“I don’t know.  I used to think about it.  It’s just so much easier.”

Triston raised an eyebrow at his friend but didn’t say anything and decided to change the subject. 

“How are things going?”

“Fine I guess,” Josh said.  “I stopped talking to my ex.  It just kind of got uncomfortable.”

“What about Spencer?  How are things at the apartment?”

“Good, it’s okay.  We don’t talk much.  It’s not weird or anything.  He kind of keeps his distance.  It’s like we barely know each other.  He’s a very private person.  I’m thankful for being there and not having to pay him much in rent.  I don’t know what I would do if things were different.  He goes out with Chad a lot.  I think he’s got a crush on a straight guy.”

“Wouldn’t be the first time,” Triston said.

“I hooked up with this guy the other day.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I decided to use an old dating account of mine.  He was nice but very closeted, probably some politician or wants to be one.”

“Around this city it’s all politics,” Triston said.

“What about you and Vincent?”

“He wants to go on a vacation to Las Vegas,” Triston said.  “I was thinking something more Tropical but he says there are really good deals.  I think we’re going to go next month.”

“That’s pretty serious for not being together very long.”

Triston shrugged his shoulders.  It was true and yet he felt because of their age, because of their experience, more importantly because of what they knew they wanted out of the relationship it wasn’t such a milestone.

“We’ll see what happens.”

“Are you guys that serious?”

Triston looked off into the trees and thought about Vincent and their relationship.  They had a bond unlike any other.  It was like an electrical force between them.  He could feel it just by being in the same room.

“I really like him,” Triston said.

“I’m not sure if I want to be in a relationship.  I mean there are benefits to it but it just seems so complicated.  Although it’s been nice living with someone even if we’re not getting along.  It’s like he’s there.  There’s someone else in the apartment.  There’s someone to talk to and watch television with but you don’t have to always be there for him.”

Triston was bothered by what he heard.  He wanted Josh and Spencer to get into a relationship.  He thought they would be good for each other, but maybe roommates was the best to hope for. 

They heard another jogger on the track but this time it was a young man.  He was shirtless and muscled, a necklace bounced around his neck.  They both looked to him and as he passed he looked over to them.  Josh got to his feet and began to stretch with his back to the runner.

“Is he too far gone yet?”

“No, he’s taking his time.  He just came to a stop.”

“I’m going to see if he’s interested, maybe he needs a shower buddy to wash his back,” Josh said.

Triston watched his friend turn and jog away.  He’d give Josh a few minutes to test the waters before he followed up behind him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment