Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Ch 31 Straight Advice

Horsepower doesn’t mean anything when stuck in traffic, Spencer thought as he looked at the lights of the car ahead of him.  Chad was beside him in the passenger seat.

“Thanks for coming along to try out my new car,” Spencer said.  “Sorry there’s so much traffic.”

“You didn’t make it,” Chad said.

“I know.  It’s just frustrating.”

“It’d be nice to take it out West though and really get a chance to drive, or maybe down Florida where that highway is like 80 mph.”

“In my dreams, around here I’d be lucky to do anything more than 60 mph with all of the traffic cameras and cops.  How’s the job working out for you?” Spencer asked.

“It’s actually kind of fun,” Chad said.

“Really?”

“Yeah, there’s actually a few straight guys who work there but everyone is nice.  I’m actually going to some lake with a few of the guys next weekend.”

“Really,” Spencer said.

“Yeah, they invited me along.  There’s going to be a cookout.  Would you want to go with me?  They said I could invite someone.”

“Don’t you think that would be a little, I don’t know, confusing for them.”

“They all know I’m straight.  Although there was that one time, but it was just a little bit of tongue.”


“Now you’re just messing with me.”

“Of course I am.  Yes, they all know I’m straight but we get along.  It’s kind of like being in college or something.  Some of the guys can be a little dramatic but there’s no bullshit, you know.  I mean on the force it was like all this macho crap.  I mean some of those guys I wouldn’t want around my daughter and they have kids of their own but the guys at the bar are nice.”

Spencer let off the brake and drifted for a bit before stopping the car again.

“And there’s someone you should meet.”

“Is he one of those drama people?”

“No, not really, he’s kind of low key.  He works the bar.  I think he’s kind of shy.  It’s rare that he takes his shirt off.  He’s got a nice body though.”

“Checking out your workmates?  Something I should know?”

“What?  I’m allowed to evaluate.  He’s handsome, blonde hair and blue eyes.”

“Is he crazy?  Because my last boyfriend was crazy.  He threatened to post our sex tape on the internet, luckily he backed off.  I think he was worried about his grandmother finding out.”

“Sex tape?”

“Don’t ask,” Spencer said.

“I have to ask.  Why would you?”

“It was an impulsive thing, supposed to stay private.”

“Did you ever watch it?”

“You know, actually, we didn’t.  It always felt more like some secret thing.”

“How about it?  I’d introduce the two of you.”

“What?  The guy, I guess, I mean nothing is happening in my love life,” Spencer said.

“Did you talk to your roommate?”

“Josh?  I haven’t yet.  It’s kind of, I don’t know, fizzled.  Sometimes Triston tells me what’s going on with him, said he’s not going back to his ex any time soon but that’s it.”

“You should do it,” Chad said.

“I don’t know.  I mean it’s weird but it actually seems more difficult than coming out.  It kind of feels the same.  I mean it’s like this secret that if I say it I leave myself vulnerable to him.  I don’t like that feeling.”

“How did you feel after you came out?”

Spencer looked to him.  Coming out had been relatively easy given all of the horror stories he had heard.  He told his parents one evening and they just kind of accepted it.  No, not accepted, but they didn’t fight it.  There was no yelling, just silence, and they didn’t really talk about it again, not in any real way.  He felt silly for having thought it would be some drastic, life changing event.  And yet, really, he did feel different, because he decided he didn’t need their approval.

“I felt lighter,” Spencer said.

“See, it wasn’t easy.  How did feel before?”

“Like I wanted to sink into the ground.”

“I’m not saying you’re going to be best friends, or boyfriends, but you owe him a real apology.  You need to tell him where you were coming from, and you need to stop thinking of him as a sex object.”

Spencer blushed at the last sentence.  He gripped the wheel tighter.  He was getting advice from his straight friend about another guy.  He let out a small laugh and shook his head.  Times really have changed, he thought.

“What is it?” Chad asked.

“I just never thought I’d be sitting here listening to a straight man give me advice about dating another guy, much less inviting me to some cookout to meet someone.”

“Just don’t try and kiss me.  I’m married.  It’s a monogamous relationship,” Chad said.

Spencer looked to him, his eyes went wide but Chad only smiled back.

No comments:

Post a Comment