Monday, April 14, 2014

Ch 26 Tattoos and Scars

Triston sat at the sales counter for his job quietly staring into a cup of coffee as he thought about his two friends Spencer and Josh.  They had each related to him their accounts for their argument at different times.

Spencer:
“Look I know what I did was wrong and I apologized for it but I’m just so tired of guys like him thinking I’m not their type.  It’s the classic thing right?  Nice guys finish last.  Well, I’m a nice guy, most of the time, and it’s not fair.  I mean I did all of that for him.  I let him move into my apartment.  You know how much I hate sharing an apartment with someone and then I take him to the group session and practically hold his hand to get him there and I was there for him afterwards.  I’m not saying I deserve something like sex or a relationship but it wasn’t easy.  And I thought we had this connection.  I thought, you know, we were getting close.”

Josh:
“Look he took me in and everything and I’m used to having arguments with people, he just kind of surprised me by professing his love one moment and then snapping on me the next whenever I start talking about my ex.  What kind of person does that?  I love you and now I hate you.  He apologized and I told him I forgave him but I don’t know.  I didn’t think he’d use it against me like that.  He said some really mean things.”

He picked up his coffee and took a sip before putting it down and walking away from the counter and through the store looking for something to do, but the floors were clean, everything was arranged properly.  He made his way to the back room where Cheryl sat at her desk writing out her presentation.  He leaned against the doorway.

“What’s the problem?” she asked.

“I don’t know why I keep thinking about it,” Triston said.

“Do you want to be any more vague?”

“My two friends, you know Spencer and this new guys Josh.  One fell for the other but it’s not reciprocal and now it’s become a problem.  Why do people have to be so worried about long term commitment or the perfect relationship? 

“Look, I’m not saying they use each other but what’s wrong with them each getting something out of it?  I mean what if they only date for a few months, maybe  year, and they both become better people for having known each other but then they separate and go their own way.”

She stared at him for a moment as she organized her thoughts.  Her silence made him uncomfortable.

“Life doesn’t work that way honey.  Each relationship is like having a tattoo or a scar, some are beautiful and some you regret.”

No comments:

Post a Comment