Monday, March 10, 2014

Ch 21 - Josh and Spencer Sitting in a Tree

The patio of the coffee shop was empty so Chad and Spencer could choose any place they wanted but ended up looking at each other a little confused as they waited for the other to make the first move.  Finally Spencer took the initiative and lead the way to the back area hoping that if other people arrived they’d take seats far away to keep some space and privacy.

Spencer felt strange being out with his straight friend in such a casual way.  Would people confuse them for a couple?  Would they suspect Chad was gay?  Spencer thought of a few people, like his ex-boyfriend, who he’d like to see him with Chad, his broad shoulders and chest, narrow waist.

They worked themselves into the chairs at the table and pulled the lids off their drinks.  It was Saturday and they were both skipping going to the gym.

“Still having problems at work?” Spencer asked.

“Work is going okay, it’s not what I expected after three years.  The guys are kind of harsh and some of them really like to try and get under your skin.  There’s one guy who keeps calling me fire crotch.  He points at me in the showers.  It’s kind of ridiculous.”

“Aw, he has a crush on you,” Spencer said.

Chad rolled his eyes.

“If only, at least then I’d know how to deal with that.”

“What?  How do you deal with that?”

“Tease him a little, make him desperate, and tell him only if he behaves himself.”

“Now you’re fucking with me,” Spencer said.

“Of course I am.  But it’s really annoying.  The other day I caught myself making a fist.  It ruined the first hour of my shift.”

“And nobody wants an angry cop,” Spencer said.

“What’s new with you?” Chad asked.

“Not much, I’ve got a new roommate now.  It’s only temporary I think.  He’s getting out of an abusive relationship,” Spencer said.

“Gay or straight?” Chad asked.

“Gay,” Spencer said, “they were together for nearly two years.  I guess it started just after they started living together... you don’t want to hear this.”

“Tell me,” Chad said.  “I didn’t think that kind of stuff happened.  It’s not really talked about.”

“Just the usual stuff, small at first and now, he said he just hates going home.  He’d rather be at work.”

“That’s pretty crazy.  Is he a nice guy?”

“Yeah, he’s great.  We had some problems at first but we worked them out.”

“What?”

“I don’t know.  This is weird talking to you.”

“We’re friends,” Chad said.

“I think I’m developing a crush on him.  He’s cute and all but there’s something else.  He’s funny, he cooks, and he’s younger and he’s so much fun.”

“He has fun because he’s young,” Chad said.

“Maybe, I don’t know.  He’s just a fun guy.  My last boyfriend was a drag.  I mean he could be fun but he was moody, temperamental.  With Josh it’s different.  And just being around him all of the time it’s like I can smell him now in my apartment.”

“You want to have sex with him don’t you?” Chad asked.

“Yeah, but it’s not like that, I mean it would be wrong.  I feel like I’d be taking advantage of him on the rebound like that.”

“Maybe you could be what he needs,” Chad said.  “At least he got out.  I hate being called back to the same houses for the same reasons.  I’ve never been called to a gay domestic abuse case though, it’s not something I would want to do.”

“But what would it be like to date him knowing his past?”

“Everyone has a past,” Chad said.

“True,” Spencer said.

“Is he seeing a therapist or going to a support group?”

“I don’t know,” Spencer replied.

“You should encourage him, support him emotionally so he can do it.  It helps.”

“You should be a counselor or something with all of this advice,” Spencer said.

“I just know my job.  I see how people are.  The ones who get help make it out.”

“What about you?  Are you going to get help?”

“What, you mean that asshole at work?  Getting human resources or the union involved in something like this... I’d be laughed out of my job.  I mean I’ve put up with lots of stuff from the guys and it usually wears off.  If you roll with it a little then it doesn’t seem as much fun anymore.”

Spencer looked to his latte and sighed.  Maybe people can’t see their own situations for what they are, he thought.  He looked to Chad who cracked his knuckles and scratched at his jaw as he looked around and out into the parking lot.  There was something there, something to be said, but he wasn’t sure he was the person to do it or what to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment